Akwa Ibom State Independent Electoral Commission (AKISIEC) is an Election Management Body established by section 197 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) and regulated by the provisions of AKISIEC Law 2007, whose constitutional mandate among other things is to organise, undertake and supervise all elections to Local Government Councils within Akwa Ibom State. The commission therefore, is committed to conducting and delivering free, fair and credible elections at the grassroot, for a sustainable and unfettered democracy.
The 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) and AKISIEC Law 2007 (as amended). provide that, “the Commission shall consist of a Chairman who shall be the Chief Electoral Commissioner and not less than five but not more than seven other members to be known as Electoral Commissioners and a Secretary who is appointed by the Governor from the public service of the State”
Under the Constitution, Akwa Ibom State Independent Electoral Commission (AKISIEC) was established to undertake the following functions:-
1. To organize, undertake and supervise all elections to Local Government Councils within the State.
2. To render such advice as it may consider necessary to the Independent National Electoral Commission on the compilation of the register of voters in so far as that register is applicable to Local Government Election in the State
3. To provide guidelines to political parties stipulating the rules and procedures for electioneering campaigns, subject to the provisions of the relevant law on Local Government Administration.
4. To create, delineate and delimitate Local Government wards constituencies as provided by Law.
5. To carry out such functions as may be conferred on it by Law.